Uganda-Turkey Bilateral Relations:
Uganda and Turkey enjoy warm and cordial bilateral relations. The relations between the two countries, especially in the economic sector, continue to grow steadily with huge potential for expansion to other sectors. The two countries have also registered significant cooperation under the umbrella of the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC).
Turkey opened a fully-fledged Mission in Kampala in 2010 and Uganda reciprocated by opening a mission in Ankara in 2011. The opening of these two Embassies will strengthen further the warm bilateral relations that exist between the two countries.
Trade between Uganda and Turkey is growing steadily, with the number of business people coming to Turkey increasing each year. The number of Turkish business people going to Uganda has also increased in the last couple of years. However, the two countries are yet to register substantial levels in the volume of trade realized. It is hoped that conclusion of key trade agreements will go a long way in stimulating the flow of trade, capital and technology; as well as the economic development for both countries.
Turkey offers scholarships to Ugandan students. There are currently more than 100 Ugandan students sponsored by the Turkish Government, pursuing higher education in various institutions in Turkey. The number of students is expected to grow bigger as Ugandans get become more confident with the presence of an Embassy in the host country.
High level visits from Uganda to Turkey:
There has been exchange of high level visits between the two countries, including the following:
• H.E President Yoweri K.Museveni – State Visit (May 2010)
• H.E. the Vice President Prof. Gilbert Bukenya - 3rd Turkey-Africa Foreign Trade Bridge (May 2008)
• Rt. Hon. Prime Minister, Prof. Apollo Nsibambi - 1st Turkey-Africa Cooperation (August 2008)
High Level visits from Turkey to Uganda
• H.E Deputy Prime Minister, Bulent Arinc – Turkey-Uganda Joint Economic Commission (November 2010)
• Speaker of the Turkish National Assembly, H.E Mehmet Ali Sahin - 6th Session of the Parliamentary Union of the Organization of Islamic Conference (January 2010)
• Turkish Foreign Minister, Hon Ahmet Davutoglu - 35th Session of the Council of Foreign Ministers of the OIC held in Kampala (June 2008)
The Uganda Embassy in Ankara is therefore committed to:
• Engaging in dialogue with Turkey with a view to increasing bilateral relations.
• Negotiating for increased imports of Ugandan products into Turkey.
• Promoting in Turkey the great opportunities and potential for trade, investment and tourism in Uganda.
• Encouraging the transfer of technology to Uganda.